Thursday 6 June 2013

roasted tomatoes

I love tomatoes, but unfortunately the promise of flavour is usually more enjoyable than the actual flavour especially if they are imported.  I have found that a good way to combat this is to slow roast tomatoes in the oven for 1 - 2 hours on a low heat.  They cook down and become soft and sweet.  Somebody called them the poor man's sunblush dried tomatoes.  Whatever!  I think they are delicious.


I have occassionally  made a batch at the beginning of the week to use during the week.  They only last a few days with me, but if you wanted to keep them longer, I have read that you can cover them in oil and keep them in the fridge.  I have not tried this so I don't know if it works.  If you really wanted to push the boat out and add to the Mediterranean flavour, you could use olive oil  as a flavouring when roasting.  When the tomatoes begin to soften you can add some dried herbs to ring the changes.

Cooked this way, they can be used cold in salads or sandwiches or stirred into pasta sauces.

LUNCH SERVICE
I slow roasted a trayful of tomatoes with no added flavourings and used some to give some extra oomph to a mozzarella roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment